London Ambulance Service Historic Collection
As one of the world’s oldest and largest ambulance services we have a unique, long and interesting history. This history is supported by a large collection of historical vehicles, equipment and items which have been amassed over the years and which now form our Historic Collection. Our collection includes 30 vehicles, medical equipment, uniforms, blue prints, documents, books, badges, medals and other ambulance related items.
The vehicles in the collection range from hand or horse-drawn carriages of the late 1800s up to more modern vehicles from the 1980s and 2000s. We have examples of ambulances from every decade over the last 120 years.
Our collection is run and maintained largely by volunteers from within the London Ambulance Service, some of whom used the vehicles and equipment when they were in service. The collection can provide not only a classic ambulance, but also an experienced member of staff in period dress, which creates a memorable attraction for any event.
Vehicles, medical equipment and uniforms are available for hire to the film and television industries as well as weddings, proms, funerals and other public engagements.
How to work with us
We can work on long-term projects or one-off arrangements. Contact the Head of Historical Collections in the contact section to make your enquiry.
Alongside the Historical Collection team, our Commercial team can also support, particularly with the arrangement of long term services and contracts. Our Commercial team can be contacted via the contact us section also.
Help us fund the Charitable Collection
Charitable funding helps us undertake larger projects and improve the Collection as a whole. Support is needed to help with:
- Digitisation – To provide greater access and prolonged availability for the future
- Renovation – To restore and repair classic vehicles
- Presentation – To provide projected displays that can be shared more broadly
London Ambulance Historical Collection – JustGiving
We have an extensive collection of period Ambulance uniforms available for hire to the film/TV/stage industries.
We are able to offer a consultancy service on historical and modern ambulance operations, training and usage for the film/TV/stage industries.
Archives and records research
Free when not for commercial use. We hold a number of records & photographs detailing the ambulance services in London back to 1832.
In some cases we can provide a list of documents we hold and arrange personal visits to our research room near Sevenoaks, Kent, to assist with your research.
Classic and historic ambulances and equipment are available for hire to the film/TV industry, weddings, proms and funerals and other events.
All vehicles can, if required, come with a driver dressed in the correct period uniform and unlike most other vehicle hire companies, all our vehicles come kitted with the correct period equipment.
- 1880 – Bischoffsheim Hand Cart
- 1890 – Horse drawn ambulance
- 1927 – W&G Du Cros ambulance
- 1935 – Talbot ambulance
- 1949 – Daimler ambulance
- 1965 – Morris Wadhams ambulance (x2)
- 1966 – Land Rover Series 2a incident control unit
- 1967 – Morris Wadhams (x2)
- 1977 – Bedford CF1 ambulance
- 1977 – Reeves Sovam ambulance
- 1981 – Ford A series incident control unit
- 1983 – Mercedes W123 estate car ambulance
- 1987 – Bedford CF2 ambulance
- 1987 – Renault Dodge incident control unit
- 1991 – Norton Commander paramedic motorcycle (x2)
- 1992 – Renault Espace paramedic officer’s car
- 1994 – DAF ambulance
- 1994 – LDV ambulance
- 1994 – Honda ST1100 paramedic motorcycle
- 1994 – Renault B120 emergency equipment vehicle
- 1999 – LDV ambulance
- 2000 – LDV ambulance
- 2000 – paramedic response mountain bike
- 2005 – Honda ST1300 paramedic motorcycle
- 2005 – Mercedes Sprinter ambulance
- 2012 – BMW 5 M5 response car
Film and television productions
Some of the productions we have worked on
- To Olivia
- Bargain Hunt Children in Need Special
Follow us on social media: