Safeguarding duty and responsibilities
To address safeguarding responsibilities we have:
- a safe recruitment process that includes the vetting and barring scheme and procedure with reference to the Disclosure and Barring Service;
- processes for dealing with allegations against staff with clear links to police and local authority designated officers;
- a named executive director with responsibility for safeguarding;
- heads of safeguarding for adults and children who are also the named professionals;
- a safeguarding officer who is first point of contact for local safeguarding boards and local authorities;
- internal and external reporting mechanisms to capture safeguarding issues.
Working with partner agencies
We work closely with the safeguarding lead commissioners. We continue to work with all adult and children’s safeguarding boards in response to notifications of serious case reviews. All recommendations and action plans are monitored internally and approved by the safeguarding committee for closure when appropriate. We also continue to engage with all children’s boards in respect of the unexpected death process. We submit reports to the respective Child Death Overview Panels (CDOP) following involvement in an unexpected child death.
We work closely with the safeguarding leads in the other English ambulance services. Meetings are held quarterly and this allows the sharing of ideas, good practice and benchmarking opportunities.
For partner agencies to contact us for information for IMR, SCR and DHR requests please use the email link in the Contact us box at right.
All referrals to Social Care Teams are handled by the Emergency Bed Service (EBS).
We recognise the safeguarding potential within the Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) to help identify vulnerable people. From the information received when members of the public call for help, EOC staff can identify possible safeguarding issues.
Staff may refer calls involving domestic violence or children in environments where drug and alcohol abuse is suspected or known to the appropriate service.
The single point of contact for referrals for all staff involved is [email protected]
Policies and Procedures
We have the following policies and procedures in place: