How to call 999

You can call an ambulance by using 999 or 112.

If you have a speech or hearing impairment, find out how you can contact us below.

Contacting 999 if you have a speech or hearing impairment

If you are deaf, hard of hearing or speech-impaired you can contact us by texting from your mobile. This facility is available in any type of emergency and is for people who can’t use the standard 999 voice or the RNID’s text relay services.

Register to use the text service

To use the text service you must register your mobile phone on the emergencySMS website.

How to use the text service to contact 999

Once you have registered, you can send a text to 999 to access emergency medical assistance.

Your text message should include:

  1. which service you need: ambulance, fire police or coastguard
  2. a brief description of the problem
  3. the name of the road and post code area where the incident is happening

If possible, try to include:

  • a house number
  • nearby landmarks or main roads

We will be able to respond more quickly and appropriately if you include this information and are as accurate as possible when giving the location.

For example, your text might read:

  • “ambulance. man collapsed. outside post office. station road sw19”
  • “ambulance. lady on floor not breathing. 166 waterloo road. near waterloo station by newsagent.”

If you suffer from a chronic health condition prepare a text template and store it in your phone to use when you need it.

How we will respond

When we receive your message we will send you a text. We may text for further information, but this will not delay our ambulance response to you.

If you do not receive a confirmation text from us, text again.

For more information, please visit