London Ambulance Service gets ready for Notting Hill Carnival
As London Ambulance Service prepare for Notting Hill Carnival, medics are encouraging Londoners to eat, drink and be safe while enjoying themselves this bank holiday weekend.
The Service will be working alongside St John Ambulance during the carnival (Sunday 28- Monday 29 August) to staff nine treatment centres and provide medical assistance to hundreds of patients.
In addition, our clinicians will be out on the streets responding to emergencies on foot while carrying specialist equipment including defibrillators.
Tactical Commander for the carnival, Paul Gates said: “As ever we want Londoners to stay safe while having fun.
“Last year we treated almost 955 patients at the Carnival, and took 144 people to hospital.
“Many of our patients needed emergency help after they had been drinking or taking drugs, so we’re encouraging those attending the carnival to drink alcohol sensibly, and avoid illegal substances. We’d also advise people to use sunscreen, carry any medications which may be needed, drink plenty of water, and wear sensible footwear.
“If you do feel unwell or get hurt in any way, please seek help at the treatment centres which have been specifically set up for the carnival rather than dialling 999.”
A list of treatment centres
- East Row @ Conlan Street
- Southam Street @ Adair Road
- Westbourne Park bus garage
- St Charles Square (North Side) @ Ladbroke Grove
- Lancaster Road @ Ladbroke Grove
- Denbigh Terrace @Denbigh Road
- Kensington Park Road @ Pembridge Road
- Tavistock Crescent @ St Luke’s Road
- St Stephen’s Gardens North Side
Notes to Editors
- A spokesperson is available for interviews on this topic.
- 180 London Ambulance Service staff will be on duty at the carnival on Sunday 28 August and around 210 staff on Monday 29 August (including in the control room)
- For further information about the London Ambulance Service or this news release please contact the communications department on 020 7783 2286, alternatively please email [email protected]
- Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/ldn_ambulance using #carnival
- Visit us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/londonambulanceservice